Raps Greatest Top 3 f/ Jimi the Mantis Claw

 



Jimi is a man of many talents. I met this dj, producer, performer, naturalist, & hip hop connoisseur soon after I moved to Arizona in the late 90's.  I've seen Jimi get busy on many stages and he never backs down from a stimulating conversation so it was a must for us to discuss his top 3 rap songs of all time.





I've never thought about it before and it's pretty hard to choose. But off the top, I would go with.....




Gangstarr - Step In The Arena

I love the Ballin Jack sample over the Fred Wesley groove. Premier's cuts and Guru's lyrical cadence are perfect together.










MC Breed - Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin

I love the swagger in Breed's flow over the "More Bounce To The Ounce" and "Funky Worm" samples.











Freestyle Fellowship - Heavyweights

With "Heavyweights" it's the minimally raw, hard-hitting kick and snare with the boundary pushing lyrical gymnastics that gets my blood moving.




All three have beats that begin with tension, making them hyped with intensity. Intensity is a key element for good hip hop in my opinion. All three have rhymes that flow exceptionally well with unique styles and battle overtones. In my opinion each song is a good representation of East coast, Midwest, and West coast. 
Also, all three were influential to me as a youth.





4 comments:

  1. Mc Breed is from my Home Town Merced CA , Freestyle Fellowship ( The Greatest ) - and Gang Starr 🔥🔥🔥

    ReplyDelete